Nat Anderson - a brief autobiography

A little about yourself – name, geography, anything you’re comfortable with.
My name is Nat, I am a sophomore Mechanical Engineering and Global Engineering student at CU Boulder. Colorado is my home base, but I really enjoy travel and experiencing new things (especially food!) I have been with Engineers Without Borders here at CU since my freshman year and am now a co-Project manager with Hannah for the Puerto Rico team. Like most of us here, I am a bit of a nerd; especially for Game of Thrones (books and HBO series {season 7+8 exempt}). I also have two dogs, Olive and Layla, and three poorly watered plants.

What skills and perspectives can you share with this community that are appropriate and could add value?
I hope to contribute to the light and curious attitude of our team. In a project, things can get bogged down as we get into the thick of research and documentation. My goal is to keep our team fun and open while still maintaining a productive environment. I plan to do this with SQRPGZ by posting some topics - as a break from hard design and documentation - that are more geared towards team development and Puerto Rican history and culture. More to come as I learn about this platform!

What would you like to learn most from this community?
I feel I am most lacking in the technical skills area of this project. Luckily, this community is the perfect place to learn. So far, @joshua 's post containing the intro to hydraulics textbook and the 44 exercise workbook for EPANET have proved to be great resources as I attempt to be a contributing member of our design team. I also hope to use this community to learn more about my team members. What they find interesting, things they struggle with, skills they can bring to the table. I am excited to get to know all of you this year!

What is the next step on your professional journey? Learning more? Doing more? Please share with us!
I am currently really into Wind Turbines and Renewable Energy in general. My goal after graduation is to work in industry in these fields. And, I hope to be a lifelong learner (although currently I am just trying to survive my APPM midterm!)

1 Like

Hi @NatAnderson, welcome to SQRPGZ, and thank you for posting this about yourself!

This sounds awesome! Team development information exchange and discussion is an objective that I have for this site, and I’ll be sure to partake in, and propagate, material that you post! You also hit on another note that is very important for engineering projects — that’s a community’s history and culture. As engineers, we bring our life experiences, biases, and education to new environments with the hope of creating solutions to problems. The more that the engineer knows about the community’s culture and history, the more likely the solution will be a good fit and sustainable, years into the future. I want to point out that understanding a community’s culture and history is different from community partnership during a project; yes, partnership is absolutely necessary, but I’d argue that the more time you’ve taken to learn about your partner, the better partner you’ll be.

And, I also agree with you, that “fun” is absolutely necessary, or you can end up with a grey broken heart, like this site’s logo. :black_heart: + :broken_heart: