How did you approach your PE test prep?

I just started studying this past weekend for the water resources PE exam using some of the materials I found through this site. My initial approach was going to be to just dive into one of the Goswami practice tests and then brush up on topics I had trouble with, but about an hour and not many questions later realized I wasn’t going to get far without brushing up on the exam material before practicing problems.

For now I decided I should go through sections of the CERM and take down notes, equations of interest, and do the example problems contained within, and start taking practice tests maybe in a month or two after brushing up a bit.

My question to anyone who has passed or is currently studying is: what was your method? Was it more systematic or did you dive right in like I thought I could? Also what prep materials did you/do you find most helpful?

1 Like

Yes, it is definitely hard to just jump into the questions. Concepts/theory, along with exam-specific tricks, must go hand-in-hand with the studying of questions. I’m not saying it hasn’t been done, but going through the CERM is a hard read, and it will not leave you covered with all of the material you need. Now, when I prepared, I attended the online School of PE course (my employer paid), and it was eh/ok. They did a fair job for AM prep, but a terrible job for the PM. At that point I decided to enroll in EET’s program – it’s very good. Everything you hear about it online is true. I don’t think there’s anything in comparison, if you have the $500-$600 (I believe that’s their cost). If you want to go about it on your own, you could definitely try a mix of the Goswami study books – first study the theory/concept chapter, next take all of the questions in the Goswami practice problems book that are related to that theory/concept chapter, skim the same section of the CERM for their representation of the material, then find all other related example problems from other materials (this site and others). During the process, take good notes, mark tough issues, ask questions here, and when you’ve covered the material, start taking example tests (NCEES and others).

WRE
Breadth: I am studying on my own and doing as many practice exams as possible, slow at first and much faster now. I have done 5 practice exams so far and plan to do about 5/6 more. I am creating a binder with every problem I do, separated per the 8 NCEES specifications, I also write notes on the problem to help me use it later and always write the CERM page #.
I have been studying about 1 hr a day average for my first month. My employer is cool about me studying in the office so I just stay late and study. Now I am using this binder to solve the practice problems I do.
My references will be the CERM, ACI, Conversion Factors, Some cheat sheet the ‘the millenial engineer’ sells. Maybe the NCEES ENV PE Reference handbook for the online test. What else? anyone?

Depth: I am going to take the EET On-demand. Cheaper and on my own pace. I will rely mostly on the references sent and the problems from this course. I plan to do the 3/4 practice depth exams I have before I start the class. Maybe do a binder with these problems…not sure.
For references I hope EET makes me comfortable with their binder, but I like Gupta’s books.

It is nice to browse around these two boards I browse to mold my study habits and for confirmation that I’m doing the same things that other successful test takers have done in the past.
Best of luck!!!

EET is the best, both AM and PM. The CERM is eh, and Gupta is good, but not everything you’ll need. Nothing can bee EET. I took their course for WRE.