Adam Gunning, Social Media Lead

A little about yourself – name, geography, anything you’re comfortable with.
Hi, my name is Adam. I’m from Fort Collins, Colorado. I actually live with Jashan, and went to the same high school as Nat! I’m an English major, so most of my contributions to this project will not be on the engineering side, instead I will focus on the work plan and various grant proposals as needed.

What skills and perspectives can you share with this community that are appropriate and could add value?
Although EWB is all about engineering, hence the name, I feel that my writing skills will be useful in various ways. Having a solid design for the water distribution system is, and should be, our top priority. A requirement of even getting the chance to implement that system includes getting our project approved and funded. While some people may only want to focus on the engineering aspects of this project, I intend to do just the opposite. In my opinion, a good balance of differently skilled contributors will create a fun and productive work environment.

What would you like to learn most from this community?
I intend to learn a lot about the inner workings of the engineering community. English majors have so many options for careers, which sounds nice, but it’s a pain. I can be a teacher, a lawyer, an editor, a journalist, and so on and so on. Part of figuring out what I want to do, should involve the exploration of fields outside the obvious sphere of English related positions. Technical and scientific writing is very important. Any engineer can write a paper about the work they’ve done, but having someone who can break down the main points into easily comprehensible wording is something many may not consider. It’s not only important that your peers understand your work, it is also important that the world at large is able to understand the importance of what you do everyday.

What is the next step on your professional journey? Learning more? Doing more? Please share with us!
I have a couple ideas, none of which stand out among the others. I am really considering getting a masters degree in English. Should I decide to teach, this will immediately result in higher pay and will make me look much better coming out of school. I also believe that a masters will be more useful within other fields. A higher level of education does not guarantee anything, but it most certainly will not hurt me in whatever I decide to pursue.

1 Like

It’s a pleasure to have you on the team, and thanks for sharing!

This is traditionally hard for most engineers to succeed at, especially as their careers develop, and the become more specialized. Stay present on the project. Look at the team’s work products with a fresh eye, and question what doesn’t make sense. This will provide great value to the team!

So happy to have you on the team Adam! Project documentation and grant applications are huge components of our project; we will really need your help making things readable. I hope this team will benefit you too by giving you some experience with technical writing and exposing you to some possible career paths.